Saturday, July 4, 2015

DIY StickPic Trekking Pole Attachment

As most people do, when they come across the plastic material known as Instamorph or a dozen other trade names, I started trying to find problems that I could solve with it.


Enter the problem that I didn't even know I had.  Since Disney banned selfie sticks, I figured it was time for me to get one. But the only time I need it is for group photos while backpacking. That leads to commercial solutions, like:

The StickPic is an attachment to affix your camera mount to the tip of your trekking pole.  It's not that expensive, but my solution is so cheap it's hard to calculate.  The StickPic appears to be limited to a compression/friction fit made in several models to cover the broad range of trekking pole tips that exist.  My real inspiration came when I noticed that the StickPic is white plastic. I figured out two different ways to thread it onto my poles, but I could still make it a compression fit if that works out better.

Enjoy the video. Buy the stuff you see in it with these links and we'll all be happier.



Glow Inc. Ultra Green V10 Glow Powder 1/4 Ounce

Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles

Polly Plastics Moldable Plastic Pellets. 16 oz. EZ Grip Jar

RetiCAM® Smartphone Tripod Mount XL - Metal Universal Smartphone Tripod Adapter - XL, Black


No comments:

Post a Comment